Do you need help with your writing, but you’re not sure how to find the right person? Finding the right editor for the job can be a daunting process.
Here are a few questions that will guide your search. They aren’t in any particular order, and you may need to change the words to suit your specific situation.
- What are your formal editing qualifications?
- What understanding do you have of my topic?
- Are you a member of a professional organisation for editing?
- How long have you been editing?
- Are you in business, or is editing your hobby?
- Which style guides do you work with on a regular basis?
- How much do you charge, and how do you accept payment?
- What are your terms and conditions?
- Do you guarantee deadlines?
- What document formats (e.g., Microsoft Word, PDF, LaTeX) do you accept?
If you get the answers you want to all 10 of these questions, you’ve probably found the right person for the job! And remember, if you aren’t satisfied with the answers you receive, professionals are always happy to refer to another editor Referrals are the way we work best.